While living in Japan, I was fortunate enough to discover different types of delicious Asian dishes and while some are easier to make than others, I have always enjoyed Lumpia and fried rice.. Last week I was craving the hell outta Lumpia, so I thought I would just buckle down and make a big batch of them. Of course this is my take on the wonderful little meat filled egg rolls and easy vegetable fried rice
Lumpia and Vegetable Fried Rice
Ingredients needed for Lumpia :
- Small Cabbage (shredded)
- 1/2 pound of ground pork and 1/2 pound of either ground turkey or ground beef
- Carrots (shredded)
- Finely diced onion (small to medium)
- Salt and Pepper for taste
- Spring roll pastry wrappers
- Sweet Chili sauce for dipping
- Fresh Garlic (2 or 3 minced cloves, personal preference)
- Oil for frying
- 1 Egg/water mixture for sealing "food glue"
Use whatever vegetables you either currently have or some of your favorite vegetables, I used the left overs of the filling I had for the Lumpia!
Ingredients needed for Vegetable Fried Rice :
- Small Cabbage
- Sodium soy sauce (personal preference for the fried rice, basically just coat for extra flavoring)
- Rice (I used brown rice)
- Fresh Garlic (2 or 3 minced cloves, personal preference)
- Sugar snap peas (bite size pieces, 1 cup)
- Carrots (bite size pieces, 1 cup)
- Jalapeno for heat
- chives "green onion) diced for garnishment (color for the dish)
- Salt and Pepper for taste
- oil to lightly saute the veggies and to keep the rice from sticking
- 3 eggs scrambled
Preparation:
Lumpia
To begin prepare your vegetables by dicing the cabbage, carrots and onions into pieces smaller than bite sized pieces, but not finely (does this make sense?) and mince your fresh garlic and set aside. Next, combine your two preferred choices of meat in a bowl and add in the veggies and minced garlic. This next step I forgot to take a picture of, but pull your pastry layers apart to make it easier when you begin to roll, make sure you keep a towel covering the pastries while in between rolling or your pastries will become dry and this will be a no bueno situation. Finally, take a tablespoon or two of your meat mixture and place on one corner of the pastry and roll like a burrito (chipolte/qdoba burrito style) and seal with a little of the egg/water "food glue mixture"... you basically want to make sure none of the meat filling is able to escape when it comes time to fry the rolls.
Vegetable Fried Rice
First, cook your rice (amount depends on how many you are cooking for). Next, take any of the left over veggies, either from the Lumpia (make sure there is no cross contamination) or veggies you already have on hand. Preheat your wok or a big non stick skillet with a few tablespoons of oil on high. THIS NEXT STEP GOES PRETTY FAST! Once the oil/skillet is nice and hot add your onion and garlic and constantly stir. Once the release of the fragrances of the garlic and onion have filled the air throw in the veggies and constantly stir to make sure nothing burns, at this point use your best judgement on adding extra oil so you don't burn anything. When the veggies are almost done throw in the rice and turn down the heat to low/ medium and constantly stir to combine all ingredients at this point add your soy sauce (amount depends on personal preferences). Once done cover on low and take out a small skillet to scramble the eggs (if you don't like eggs, skip this part). Once the eggs are done combine to the fried rice and whaaalaaa you have homemade fried rice.
![]() |
| Small Cabbage, Vidalia Onion and fresh peeled Garlic |
![]() |
| Sugar snap peas |
![]() |
| Chives (green onion) and Jalapeno |
![]() |
| Carrots |
Spring Roll pasty (keep covered or they can dry out fast)
![]() |
| Lumpia |
![]() |
| Vegetable fried rice |







Girl I make a bomb lumpia!! My favorite food ever!!! And chicken adobo yum .. Fried rice is great you made it one time at ypg a long time ago ��
ReplyDeleteYum! I've never made lumpia but now I want to! Looks delicious!
ReplyDelete